Re: K-Meleon 1.6.0a
Posted by: siria
Date: March 09, 2010 08:34PM

From the KM16 page:
"Crash when using the scrollbar with the gestures plugin enabled"

Perhaps outdated...? No crash for me in 16a3, and gestures work fine (copied over from my 1.5.4 profile).

Posted by: jmillar
Date: March 09, 2010 11:11PM

I just love it. And it's VERY stable. Doesn't seem an alpha.

Posted by: desga2
Date: March 10, 2010 12:03AM

siria
From the KM16 page:
"Crash when using the scrollbar with the gestures plugin enabled"

Perhaps outdated...? No crash for me in 16a3, and gestures work fine (copied over from my 1.5.4 profile).

Possibily this is a problem in Vista/Seven.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: caktus
Date: March 11, 2010 09:19PM

"Send As Link" is listed in the context menu but is non-functional. Not trying to rush anyone, just thought I'd pass it along.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: JamesD
Date: March 12, 2010 01:39PM

disrupted

it's not prompting to register protocols like mailto: on first application run/new profile.

it's much more serious than just mail and appears to be related to gecko implementation in kmeleon/missing service
you probably should report that bug:
fails to prompt on registering new protocol handlers

for now, you can fix it by opening the profile prefs.js in notepad and append this line: (make sure the browser is closed)
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.warn-external.mailto", false);

I added that pref and it now works. I just don't get the confirmation to launch mail program anymore.

sira

JamesD
Bug reported as # 1191

Dorian has marked it as fixed, in 1.6alpha4 smiling smiley

Posted by: PharaoXx
Date: March 14, 2010 06:03PM

I really love this version. It's very fast and stable.

but it still has some bugs. For instance, this site doesn't work in it at all:

http://www.ichingonline.net/

Although it does work in K-Meleon 1.5.4.

Date: March 14, 2010 06:54PM

PharaoXx

I tried it this web site in KM 1.6a3 and work.
What is your problem with this website, can you explain what is not work for you?

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: PharaoXx
Date: March 14, 2010 07:12PM

desga2
PharaoXx

I tried it this web site in KM 1.6a3 and work.
What is your problem with this website, can you explain what is not work for you?

Yeah, it seems to work fine today. It didn't work yesterday in 1.6a3. The javascript did not start.

Date: March 17, 2010 07:41PM

PharaoXx

I tried with both KM1.6a4 and IE 6 and all of the links seemed to work but the game (if that's what it is) did not seem work at all. Maybe the problem is with the website.

Charlie

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: March 18, 2010 04:38PM

caktus

I tried with both KM1.6a4 and IE 6 and all of the links seemed to work but the game (if that's what it is) did not seem work at all. Maybe the problem is with the website.

KM 1.6a4 does NOT exist, caktus. if it does, WTH did you get it?

Date: March 18, 2010 06:54PM

My bad. K-Meleon 1.6.0a3 Build 4

Charlie

Date: March 19, 2010 06:38PM

caktus
My bad. K-Meleon 1.6.0a3 Build 4

ahh, i thought so. don't make that silly mistake again, caktus.

I think the User Agent strings in KM 1.6.0a should be changed since KM 1.6.0a is based on Gecko 1.9.1.x. Instead of "Firefox 2.0", it should say either Firefox 3.5 or Firefox 3.6. And for the Seamonkey UA string, it should say "Seamonkey 2.0" instead of "Seamonkey 1.1". Some modern web sites (like youtube) may still work but will complain that you're using an "outdated" browser and that you should upgrade.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2010 06:40PM by 4td8s.

Date: March 19, 2010 08:28PM

4td8s
you're using an "outdated" browser and that you should upgrade.

I understand IE 9 may be coming out soon and may not be compatable with XP. I hope 6,7 and 8 will continue to work and with HTML 5. If not, MS may end up pushing alot more folks, including myself to the MAC.

Charlie

Posted by: yaspaju
Date: March 20, 2010 10:23AM

No funciona recarga continua en K-meleon 1.6.3a, ¿Alguna sugerencia?

Not work continuous reload in K-meleon 1.6.3a, Any suggestions?

K-meleon 1.5.4

K-meleon 1.6.3a

Posted by: ndebord
Date: March 20, 2010 02:53PM

caktus
4td8s
you're using an "outdated" browser and that you should upgrade.

I understand IE 9 may be coming out soon and may not be compatable with XP. I hope 6,7 and 8 will continue to work and with HTML 5. If not, MS may end up pushing alot more folks, including myself to the MAC.

Caktus,

IE 8 will probably be around for a long time, so I am not particularly worried that IE9 won't work with XP. They are still trying over there at Microsoft to get rid of W9x users, so getting rid of XP will prove to be a big problem for them.

As for HTML 5, I worry more about Google not supporting the open source version of it for their streaming videos on You Tube.

N

Date: March 20, 2010 03:07PM

ndebord
Caktus,

IE 8 will probably.......

Thanks for the info, good to know.

Charlie

Date: March 20, 2010 03:26PM

About 1 out of 5 times I try to load a page, any page, I get the below error with K-Meleon 1.6.0a3 (Build 4). Reloading usually loads the page but not always. The problem does not occur with IE6 or Opera10. Anyone else experiencing this problem? Is there a way I might fix it or is this a bug problem?

error
Connection Interrupted

The document contains no data.

The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.

Charlie

Date: March 20, 2010 09:27PM

yaspaju
No funciona recarga continua en K-meleon 1.6.3a, ¿Alguna sugerencia?

Not work continuous reload in K-meleon 1.6.3a, Any suggestions?

K-meleon 1.5.4

K-meleon 1.6.3a

El JavaScript es un poco diferente en K-Meleon 1.6a3 porque usa el nuevo motor Gecko 1.9.1. Recuerda que 1.6a3 es aún una versión alfa y que hay cosas que aún no funcionan y hay que revisar.
La Recarga continua es un JavaScript inyectado, por lo que seguramente habrá que revisar su código para hacerlo funcionar correctamente en K-Meleon 1.6a3.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2010 09:28PM by desga2.

Posted by: yaspaju
Date: March 20, 2010 10:40PM

Gracias por tu respuesta, desga2

Date: March 21, 2010 12:55AM

4td8s
I think the User Agent strings in KM 1.6.0a should be changed since KM 1.6.0a is based on Gecko 1.9.1.x. Instead of "Firefox 2.0", it should say either Firefox 3.5 or Firefox 3.6. And for the Seamonkey UA string, it should say "Seamonkey 2.0" instead of "Seamonkey 1.1". Some modern web sites (like youtube) may still work but will complain that you're using an "outdated" browser and that you should upgrade.

eh, I've figured out how to do this myself. Edited "I10n.js" file from K-meleon1.6's
\defaults\pref\ folder and changed the following lines:

/********************************************************************************/
// Privacy

pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent1.name", "Firefox 2.0");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent1.string", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent2.name", "SeaMonkey 1.1");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent2.string", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.23) Gecko/20090825 SeaMonkey/1.1.18");
/********************************************************************************/

to this:

// Privacy

pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent1.name", "Firefox 3.5");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent1.string", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.8) Gecko/20100203 Firefox/3.5.8");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent2.name", "SeaMonkey 2.0");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent2.string", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.9pre) Gecko/20100205 SeaMonkey/2.0.3");

then reloaded KM 1.6.0a3 build 4 and now I can used the newly modified User Agent FF3.5/SM2.0 strings from the Tools, User Agent menu command. wee! grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2010 05:58PM by 4td8s.

Posted by: AxL
Date: March 21, 2010 12:43PM

Well done!

Date: March 23, 2010 08:49PM

caktus
ndebord
Caktus,

IE 8 will probably.......

Thanks for the info, good to know.

Speaking of IE 8, just this morning I installed IE 8 and immediately it screwed up my system. It stole default status, blocked most of my admin privelages and disabled nearly all services and would not permit me enable any of them. It even disabled System Restore and would not permit me to enable it do to disabled services which I could not enable. Icould not even access the Registry or make changes to MSCONFIG. Also it had no uninstall options and was not listed in Add or Remove programs, if not for Ad/Remove Pro I may have had to do a full restoration. This experience was like hell on wheels with no breaks.

I think I would have been happy with IE7 but it would not install unless I uninstalled XP's SP3 which I did not want to bother with. I guess I am going to have to continue life with IE 6. Well, except for K-meleon, of course.

Charlie

Date: March 23, 2010 10:09PM

If you wanted to shock me, you've succeeded :O Horror...!

Posted by: panzer
Date: March 23, 2010 10:13PM

Cactus, leave IE. NOW. grinning smiley

Well, now you see what happens when IE thinks it is at home.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2010 10:15PM by panzer.

Posted by: bellgamin
Date: March 24, 2010 07:40AM

caktus
It even disabled System Restore and would not permit me to enable it
THE best security against bad installs, malware infestations, hard drive failures, etc, is imaging software. The prudent user should image his system disk to an external HD at least weekly.

Imaging has saved my okole (backside) multiple multiple times.

Aloha,
Bellgamin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Int Exp is the equivalent of giving loaded guns to children.

It said on the website to use IE8 or better... so I switched to K-Meleon. (^_^)

Date: March 24, 2010 08:44AM

panzer
Cactus, leave IE. NOW. grinning smiley

Well, now you see what happens when IE thinks it is at home.

Actually, I used to practically go to bare knuckles for ie as it really is a pretty good browser (well, until ie7+). I used ie with great success for about a decade. It used to be that ie was just mis-understood and many end users expected ie to do everything for them. Many users have blamed ie for the results their own careless and risky behavior. Using ie on dialup with a discount caching proxy delivered non-secure web pages pretty fast. Eventually I found KM and I immediately fell head-over-heals in love with it.
:drool:

I've just finished installing and customizing 1.5.4. So far 1.5.4 seems to be running a close 2nd to 1.6 when it come to speed. I am wondering if there will be a big difference between 1.5.4 and 1.6, once 1.6 is in final release.

Charlie

Posted by: foobarly
Date: March 24, 2010 01:27PM

I felt a strong urge to chime in on this, so here:

I am still, among other things, a Windows XP user -- no Vista or 7 for me, as what could be viewed as a mere OS upgrade gets to be to the best of my knowledge a dramatic hardware downgrade, not to mention in usability (why relearn everything you amassed through years as an user?).

That being said and although I only use IE for the occasional test and system update, I always keep IE updated to the latest stable version (IE8 right now) due to its strong integration with the operating system. Over time for the sake of peace of mind, it has proven best to do so. Although I did play around with nlite'd installations where IE was totally extirpated, esoteric system problems tended to crop up, so in the end it's best to just leave it alone. Don't use it if you want to, but don't mess with it.

Also, whenever upgrading versions be prepared for extensive fiddling just to re-set previous system conditions -- there's no such thing as an easy IE upgrade, it's always a dog. BTW, the best way to do it is on a freshly installed system... sad smiley

--- sig ---

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2010 01:33PM by foobarly.

Date: April 01, 2010 12:44AM

foobarly
I felt a strong urge to chime in on this, so here:

I am still, among other things, a Windows XP user -- no Vista or 7 for me, as what could be viewed as a mere OS upgrade gets to be to the best of my knowledge a dramatic hardware downgrade, not to mention in usability (why relearn everything you amassed through years as an user?).

That being said

hmm, what kind of computer are you using, foobarly? maybe the computer isn't fully Vista/Seven compatible.

all of my WinXP computers (desktop & laptop) arent Vista/Win7 compatible anyways (since the machines were made around 2000-2003) so, I dont bother upgrading the OS beyond XP SP3.

AxL
Well done!

no probs, AxL. hope they include my "user agent" FF/SM changes in a KM 1.6.0 beta release.

Posted by: llewsrac
Date: April 01, 2010 10:19PM

Hello

I have just downloaded the zip file for 1.6 and extracted it into its own folder. Found that all I had to to do was run the .exe file and k-meleon came up. It had all my bookmarks etc (from 1.5 ) in it and is running perfectly.

What are the advantages of installing k-meleon?

llew

Date: April 01, 2010 10:40PM

I'm always unzipping and running KM in this way too, without "installing" anything grinning smiley Except that I include the profiles in the program folder (=portable mode), but that requires a system with writing rights there.

If I'm reading your post right, you have already "installed" KM 1.5, and now are running the KM16 with the shared profile from the user appdata folder?
In that case I'd suppose that's all you need, except you have to create the icon yourself to start KM16...
Perhaps a backup copy of the profile folder wouldn't be a bad idea for playing with alpha versions, or better yet the program folder as well :cool:

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.