Re: K-Meleon 1.6.0a
Posted by: Matt
Date: February 28, 2010 06:34PM
Posted by: slayer
Date: February 28, 2010 08:56PM

Can I try this new alpha version without uninstalling the 1.5.3?

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: February 28, 2010 09:44PM

Yes, just add profile.ini in K-Meleon root folder before launching it.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 28, 2010 10:28PM

alain's suggestion does that the test version gets its own profile in its install folder, give it writing rights there.

Date: February 28, 2010 10:35PM

I don't know but I added the profile.ini just in case.
I'm using this new version right now. Wihout the KE it draws everythink black, so you can't see nothing. After setting the KE to XP sp2 mode... well I'm writing this post, so it seems to work fine. :drool:
I'm going to test it a little.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.9pre) Gecko K-Meleon/1.6.0

P.S. I see no text in the default bar buttons.

Posted by: SoerenB
Date: February 28, 2010 11:52PM

?KE?

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Date: March 01, 2010 01:41AM

KernelEx, it allows runing XP programs in Win9X.
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/130936-kernelex-45-beta-2/
I would like to have a Win9x native executable though.

I'm having a problem with this alpha, and I don't know if it is related to the KE+Win98SE: Selecting a previously visited page from the History-List using the combobox (url bar), gives me a wrong page being loaded, ie: you select Bing.com from the list and KM1.6.0a loads www.b.com

Posted by: Cosmo
Date: March 01, 2010 02:31AM

Using K-melelon v.1.6.0a3
Was using v.1.5.3

HO MY GOD! Great, I'm using it on an Toshiba Satellite 2100cds with Windows XP.
Fast! Small Footprint. Cpu's not hanging for hours with scripts. You feel the difference instantly. Two thumbs up!! grinning smiley

Cosmo

Posted by: siria
Date: March 01, 2010 04:50AM

slayer
I'm having a problem with this alpha, and I don't know if it is related to the KE+Win98SE: Selecting a previously visited page from the History-List using the combobox (url bar), gives me a wrong page being loaded

Oh... Looks like the latest version of kernelex is finally able to open the NT-kmeleons!!!! Now I was already jumping at the ceiling with joy - but too early tongue sticking out smiley :-(
Do the plugins work for you??? History, Configuration, Privacy etc. ....? Any trick?!

Posted by: bellgamin
Date: March 01, 2010 06:14AM

Whoo boy, this alpha is soooo fast! On my computer, it is much much faster than FF, or Chrome, or Safari.

So far I have not encountered a single glitch. Magnifico!

Posted by: Robin
Date: March 01, 2010 06:31AM

How does this 1.60 alpha 3 compare with 1.54-RC updated here:

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/files/1.5.4r/K-Meleon1.5.4en-US.7z

Which is more stable ?

Thanks
Robin

Posted by: disrrupted
Date: March 01, 2010 07:38AM

you don;t compare a stable release with an alpha

Date: March 01, 2010 08:04AM

Alpha means very early testing state, even earlier than beta versions.
Why not simply try both, if they have a profile.ini in the main folder, they are completely independent.

Update to Win98SE:
Did just a quick test with replacing some of the new 1.6 kplugins with those from 1.5.4 version - and first visible result, the macro plugin shows the toolbars and menus again, OUF!! No time at the moment for any more testing and experimenting, and sure not everything will work with the "old" plugins, but much more optimistic now, yippieh!! grinning smiley

Posted by: Robin
Date: March 01, 2010 09:32AM

Sorry to compare RC with alpha release - my bad !

Thanks for alerting me for my stupid question !

Robin

Date: March 01, 2010 02:38PM

@siria: I think that the plugins work fine. What should I do to test them?
The preferences dialog is there. The same for the History dialog. Both working.
My problem not seeing the privacy-bar text, I think it was related to the new skin, using the klassic skin I get no problems at all.
I would like to know if someone has the problem selecting a previously visited site from the drop-down list (the URL combo-box).
The ogv videos and the new HTML tag for videos are better than flv.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: March 01, 2010 05:46PM

OMG, FTP sites actually work in KM 1.6.0 alpha 3! nice! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2010 05:46PM by 4td8s.

Date: March 01, 2010 08:51PM

I can not delete the History contents. I don't know if it is related to the Win98se+KE combo.
Can anybody please try to "clear all' the data and see if is just my system?

And remember to try selecting an entry from the combobox without typing anything, just open it and select a site from the list.

To me this version runs smoother, it's great!

Date: March 01, 2010 09:57PM

Can confirm you that choosing an entry from the URL bar drop down, the browser tries to open just the first character, e.g. www.f.com
Must admit I have copied over now lots of 154 and profile stuff, since the kplugins didnt work at all in (my) win98se. Unlike slayer's...
The gecko seems to render perfectly, and most of the general browser stuff works too, except some issues.
Yes I know win98se is not supported any more, but one can still try to use it!! tongue sticking out smiley

At the moment I have replaced all kplugins with those from 154, and now most seem to work. What does not at all is JSBridge, neither old nor new, that means no exceptions for cookies,images etc., and the hostperm.1 is ignored too :-/ Perhaps that's somehow related to F2 and error console opening so tiny windows? If I pull them bigger, it will not be remembered, and if I replace in the main.kmm their setting "..._InNewWindow" with "..._InNew" those two apps still open only tiny windows. But other stuff like links oben fine in new tabs.

Mousegestures do not show any more in the prefs tab, but the entries are still there in about:config, copied over from my 154 profile, and the gestures work perfectly so far, even my gestureplus macro grinning smiley No prob with scrollbar or such.

And the search engines don't work anymore here. The prefs tab stays empty ("Finding websites"). The menu on the globe button seems normal first, but if choosing another engine it still uses only the default engine, and somehow I seem to be stuck now on yet another, bing...

What prevents k-meleon.exe completely from starting again (in 98se at least), is when the tabs are set to the bottom, unless the tab-window-buttons are fixed to it.
And not sure if it's normal that all new profiles get the same name, even though the old one was renamed manually?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2010 10:44PM by siria.

Date: March 01, 2010 11:12PM

siria
Must admit I have copied over now lots of 154 and profile stuff, since the kplugins didnt work at all in (my) win98se. Unlike slayer's...
I can not clean the data from History.dat file. And I don't have any search engine to choose from. Not a big problem though.
Is this related to the experimentation with win98se, or maybe the same happens on XP?

Posted by: JamesD
Date: March 02, 2010 01:37AM

Sorry to be so late joining the discussion of the new version, but I was traveling in February and little internet connection. At last I have 1.6 alpha loaded and now I have noticed a small problem in preferences. One page seems to have a readability problem. see here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1522294/Browsing.jpg

Maybe this has been covered but I did not see it in this thread.

WOW 1.6 is very fast.

Posted by: bellgamin
Date: March 02, 2010 03:16AM

Robin
Sorry to compare RC with alpha release - my bad !

Thanks for alerting me for my stupid question !

Robin
The fellow's chide of your post was unnecessarily arrogant. HIS bad, not yours!

Posted by: disrupted
Date: March 02, 2010 08:44AM

disrrupted
you don;t compare a stable release with an alpha

what's arrogant about this statement??
i never said it was a stupid question..how does that become my fault? ..planet weird

Date: March 02, 2010 12:25PM

guenter

AirSpirit
Can I change a new icon to an old one? The old one is better for me though it's not a chameleon.

Yes, main.ico in used skin makes IMHO what You want.

Use the one from Phoenity and rename it to main.ico. That is all.
K-Meleon reacts to the names of the icons.
You can exchange all fully by placing the icons of Your choice into used skin.

Using build 4 of 1.6 alpha, I have the Klassic skin which has the old icon. Everything is fine except the Windows listing of the k-meleon exe file. That file has a new icon. I don't care for the new icon. Is a resource hacker the only way to change to the old icon? I think somebody posted a bunch of things to do with the registery in another thread. I really need a nice, easy way to have my old icon back.

Posted by: AirSpirit
Date: March 02, 2010 05:25PM

Hey, guys, what's going on? Why have you removed my favorite Phoenity(Large) skin? The new skins are awful — the ugly buttons with bad pseudo-3D gradients and an annoying background picture (I know I can turn it off but then there will be a system blue gradient which is also ugly looking in K-Meleon).
I have had to download the a2 build and copy Phoenity large from there.
There is also a problem with toolbars — when I choose to lock them, the space for moving areas doesn't collapse like earlier — it's just become empty. Though if I open a new tab in tabbar this space collapses, but the other toolbars stay inaccurate:

@ JamesD
Maybe I haven't understood you correctly but if you rename _main.ico to main.ico in your current skin folder k-mel will show it in the taskbar and the window title. You can also select this file for a k-mel shortcut anywhere and there will be an old icon too.
The only thing you can't do with the _main.ico file is to display k-meleon's executable icon in Explorer or an other file manager, but I don't know why it can be a problem because I rarely look into the k-mel folder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2010 05:27PM by AirSpirit.

Posted by: SoerenB
Date: March 02, 2010 06:27PM

Hi,

maybe this thread helps? Start reading from the 4th entry.

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Date: March 02, 2010 06:51PM

@ AirSpirit

The icon in the exe file is the problem. Here is a portion of my desktop.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1522294/New%20KM%20icon.jpg

Easy to see my problem there. I don't like the new icon. Not to hurt anyone's feeling; it is just my preference.

The Klassic skin has all the right icons.

Date: March 02, 2010 07:20PM

The new icon is somewhat blurry. The klassic skin rocks.

Date: March 02, 2010 07:38PM

@James: Glad you're back, I was starting to worry a little smiling smiley

The link icon is no prob, right-click and there's a button to choose any icon you like.
(I'm not fond of the fishhead either, and just LOVE cute old mozzie grinning smiley)

Posted by: AirSpirit
Date: March 02, 2010 07:44PM

JamesD
The icon in the exe file is the problem. Here is a portion of my desktop.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1522294/New%20KM%20icon.jpg
Just change it to the one you want. It's not a problem at all. Look at this:
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/8867/29506797.png

Date: March 02, 2010 08:30PM

Whow, now that is cool!
And necessary, looks like things have gotten a 'little' more complicated since the days of win98, man is that lots of stuff now...

And just realized that there are actually included both icons now in the current k-meleon.exe, fishhead AND mozzie - YEAH!! grinning smiley grinning smiley
Just hope it will stay in it, that it's not just a matter of do-it-later, seeing that the 1.5.x also had two icons in them, two mozzies, one with transparent background and one with that white rectangle...

And now I know why there's always a "secure" icon in the bottom right corner, even on quite normal websites...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2010 08:32PM by siria.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.