General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
BOOKMARKS DISAPPEARED?
Posted by: Just Me
Date: February 08, 2010 04:42AM

Hi folks,

We love K-Meleon! Have used it for many years and hardly ever have occasion to fire up other browsers. However, since yesterday, something weird happened and our BOOKMARKS have disappeared off the TOOLBAR. We found a BOOKMARKS file under C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\Profiles\topname.default and assume that's the correct file; it is dated 2/7/2010 about 1:00 am--but something made it disappear from the toolbar. (??)

Can somebody tell us how to retrieve our BOOKMARKS & get the Icon/Words back on our Toolbar so we can use the BOOKMARKS?

Also, what would make things "go away"like that???!

Thanks much!
smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: BOOKMARKS DISAPPEARED?
Posted by: siria
Date: February 08, 2010 06:21AM

F2 > Plugins
Set checkmark again for "Netscape Bookmarks"

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 08, 2010 09:49AM

Skandisk runs are the normal cause when bookmarks or other data disappear. In Your case: either used profile prefs.js or profiles.ini are likely damaged.

siria explained fix for prefs.s.

If profiles.ini is damaged - a new profile and a new profiles.ini are created.
The easiest way to fix is normally that you copy old profile's files into currently used new profile folder. siria posted this fix some months ago smiling smiley Before that I only knew editing profiles.ini grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2010 09:53AM by guenter.

Date: February 09, 2010 09:01AM

Hi again, folks.

Thanks for the above responses...
It seems that what is confusing us is that the WORDS/TEXT beneath the ICONS that access various functions have disappeared and the SIZE of the MENU for BOOKMARKS has somehow been shrunken down to be almost invisible?! (Now we are REALLY BEWILDERED!)

We just discovered the STAR icon on the Toolbar which when you mouse over reads "EDIT BOOKMARKS. RIGHT-CLICK TO VIEW BOOKMARKS MENU." When we click the Star, we can now EDIT the Bookmarks, but when we right-click to view Bookmarks Menu, the "menu" is just a long skinny thing about 1 pixel wide!?

Hope this description of the problem is not totally confusing to you guys, but if so, you'll be in the same boat we are in--completely baffled! LOL :-)

This is probably a simple adjustment, but we cannot figure out how to get the BOOKMARKS to function as it used to; also the SESSIONS thing is back on our Toolbar and I thought we had removed that a long time ago?!

PS We're using K-Meleon version 1.5.3, if that info helps any. THANKS for any advice/help! :-)

Date: February 09, 2010 11:29AM

Whow - how in the world did you manage THAT?? LOL! grinning smiley
Is that 1-pixel-width only on the bookmarks menu, or on all? (Like menus on Home-Button, Zoom Buttons, or even other Windows programs)
What if you try with a new profile? (Edit>Manage Profiles)?
Or, if that doesn't help, try with a new portable installation: Download KM, unzip, create an empty file "profile.ini" in the K-Meleon folder, then click on the k-meleon.exe in that folder?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2010 11:31AM by siria.

Date: February 09, 2010 08:55PM

Hi Siria,
1. We think something happened when we were viewing some webpages that required JAVASCRIPT, but we're not sure.
2. The only thing that seems amiss is the Bookmarks function, with that 1-pixel wide menu thing, and the ICON/TEXT are missing from the Toolbar.
3. How do we create a new Profile? We used Manage Profiles, entered a new name after the Default profile, and then closed. Do we now just set all new Prefs for the new profile?
4. The profile.ini file looks OK (as far as our novice eyes can tell).
5. There is a "thingie" that looks like a double-downward-pointing arrow on one of the toolbars; when you click it is when you get the one-pixel-wide "menu"; it just looks like a skinny stripe! Then in that same Toolbar "section" there are some bookmarks, all in one long list, not organized as they used to be, and at the far right is a little thing that looks like this: >> and when we click on that, we get a long (partial) list of Bookmarks without any organization. There is no longer a way to EDIT the Bookmarks, that we can find...?

Looks like SOMETHING totally scrambled our Bookmarks settings, but we don't know what or how to fix.

Also, what happened to our ability to CUSTOMIZE the TOOLBAR? Thought you just had to right-click the toolbar and make changes? Can someone remind us how to do that?

Would prefer NOT to reinstall K-M if we can avoid it to fix the problems we're now encountering.

Thanks again for any help; hope the above description makes sense to someone!
Cheers!

PS In messing with all the various settings, trying to FIX the above problem, we now have lost our custom colors for the entire K-M program; not sure what did that!? LOL!

Date: February 09, 2010 09:07PM

WHATTTTTT?????
Just closed K-M and restarted it, and now the FAVORITES is BACK, along with TWO STAR ICONS to EDIT BKMARKS and EXPLORE BKMARKS!???? Now we are TOTALLY CONFUSED! There is still the double-arrow thing on the second row of Toolbars, WHICH WE NEVER CONSCIOUSLY CREATED so don't even know what it's for--but it's not really my list of Bookmarks in an organized fashion.

NOW when we single-click the First Star, we are getting the one-pixel skinny stripe thing instead of the menu, but when we double-click we are getting the menu. When we double-click the second Star, we are transported to the Windows Director for the folder that contains our Bookmarks...

???? Something weird seems to be occurring.

Maybe we will have to reinstall after all...
sad smiley

Date: February 09, 2010 10:05PM

Wow, this is getting weirder & weirder. We closed K-M, got offline, took a break, came back, fired up K-M, and THERE are ALL OUR BOOKMARKS, right where they're supposed to be! HAH!

Sorry for all the confusion in these messages! Still perplexed, but if things are now working OK, that's all we care about! smiling smiley

Maybe somebody can refresh this boggled mind about how to get our Custom Colors back on K-M and also how to remove the SESSIONS entry from the top toolbar?

Thanks for all your help!

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 09, 2010 10:35PM
Date: February 09, 2010 11:01PM

Whow again... :cool:
Okay weird... I'd say it looks like that's just a new profile now, but then the bookmarks would be empty... Or are they actually Favorites??
The custom colors are (were??) stored in
Profiles > (Profilename) > Chrome > userContent.css
The menus in menus.cfg either in Profile or in KM > settings > default
Buttons are in toolbars.cfg in skin folder, but not that "thingie" with double arrows, that is some setting F2 > Plugins > Bookmarks or Favorites... I guess... :cool:

Always keep a copy of a working K-Meleon program folder and the profile folder for such events ;-)

Posted by: disrupted
Date: February 09, 2010 11:32PM

after fixing your profile; you should use one of those 2 extensions
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/files/profilebackup-portable.7z
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/files/xulprofbackup.7z

if we=multiple computers, you should also use this
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/files/kmsynchroniser.7z

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2010 11:34PM by disrupted.

Date: February 10, 2010 09:29PM

Hi folks,
Whatever it was that caused the Bookmarks "hijinks," it seems to be OK now.

As for the top row of Drop-Down MENU Items that we're trying to declutter, we would like to remove a couple of the items like "Sessions." Is this done at the menu.cfg, or about:config place or is there a simpler way to remove those items? Can someone please provide the SYNTAX if it's a command we have to type into a config file? Many thanks.

As for the COLOR thing, somehow we lost the color on the K-M layout that was a matching color to all our other Window programs, but it's not a big deal.

THANKS again for your patience and help! (This "ordeal" is why we hesitate to use Javascript unless absolutely unavoidable! Seems like it invites problems...)

Oh well, have a beautiful day!

Date: February 10, 2010 10:05PM

Still wondering, when you hover the mouse over the bookmarks icon, does the little popup text really say "Bookmarks", or perhaps "Favorites"??

-----------------------------------------
To remove "Sessions":
Edit > Configuration > Menus (attention, NOT "menu ICONS")
Add this and restart browser:

!Main{
-&Sessions
}

The "&" is part of the menu name, meaning the next character is underlined.
If this doesn't work (=if a button with a rebarmenu is in a toolbar):
Add it also to the "menus.cfg" in: K-Meleon/defaults/settings

Posted by: disrupted
Date: February 10, 2010 11:05PM

since removing the entry will disable access to session features then it's better not to fiddle with the menu cfg file and simply disable the session k-plugin

edit>preferences>k-meleon plugins> uncheck session saver

if you ever need it back then you'll just have to enable it

remember: use one of the profile backup extensions, it will save you a lot of time and effort if anything like that happens again..simply restore the backed profile and you're set

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2010 11:07PM by disrupted.

Date: February 10, 2010 11:21PM

Hi again,
Thanks for the tips. Was able to just uncheck the Sessions Saver feature. Also downloaded the Profile Backup thing, but not sure how to run it...?
Also, should there be only ONE Bookmarks file in our profiles? Or does it matter?

Also, the top row of Menu text stuff now has Bookmarks AND Favorites AND Hotlist items that are drop-down menus, to answer siria's question.

Thanks for all the help!
smiling smiley

PS Also not sure what that double-arrow thing is, or the Scrambled Bookmarks in a long list that is on that part of the Toolbar. I always just click on the Bookmarks drop-down Menu (text/wording) to access/edit Bookmarks. Does anybody know what the NAME of that double-arrow-toolbar thing is, so we can just remove that?
Hope question is clear!

Date: February 10, 2010 11:23PM

I had considered disabling the plugin too, but then one probably doesnt get that popup offering to restore the last session after a crash - or would that still work...?

Oh, simultaneous posting! :cool:
If you only use "Bookmarks" then you can really safely disable the plugins for Favorites and Hotlist.This might even remove that scramble as well, just try....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2010 11:32PM by siria.

Date: February 11, 2010 05:47AM

Hi siria,
Was able to disaable the FAVORITES stuff, which helped declutter things a bit. Also am happy to announce we now are RID of that 1-pixel-skinny drop-down menu thing! LOL
;P

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.