K-Meleon 0.5 Release Notes
These release notes describe system requirements, installation
instructions, features and known issue for K-Meleon 0.5. These release
notes were last updated October 23, 2001. The most current version of
these release notes are available at http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/docs/relnotes05.php
What's New, Improved and Fixed in This Release
K-Meleon 0.5 is released under the GNU General Public License.
K-Meleon uses the Gecko rendering engine developed for Mozilla which provides excellent support for current HTML, CSS and DOM standards.
This version contains portions of Mozilla
The K-Meleon Team
Jeff Doozan - Developer
Brian Harris - Developer
Andrew Mutch - Documentation
Tuncer M. Ayaz - Support
Christophe Thibault - Developer
Sebastian Spaeth - Support
K-Meleon uses some bits from:
NSIS Installer (c) 2000 Nullsoft
Gecko and System Icon from Mozilla
SourceForge - Project hosting
- Ability to define UserAgent string
- Enhanced privacy features
- -P or "mostrecent" command line parameter
- Print button on the toolbar
- SSL support
- Symbiotic loader
- Support for external handlers (mailto:, telnet:)
- Wallet support
- @entrypoint definition in menus to adjust positioning
- Download support
- Enhanced drag and drop support
- Java support
- Profile handling
The following problems have been fixed in version 0.5.
- Accelerator handling did not allow all keys to be used
- Bookmark plugin crash
- Bookmarks plugin did not condense menu item text when adding new bookmarks
- Favorites plugin drastically increased load time
- IE Favorites did not condense text
- K-Meleon used a default "Kmeleon 0.4" UserAgent string
instead of Mozilla
- Stability problems
- Option to not list toolbars in menu not available
- URLbar allowing focus to be stolen when typing
- Windows 95, 98, 98SE, Windows ME, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000 or Windows XP
- 32 MB RAM minimum
- 4 MB of free hard disk space for download. 8 MB of free hard disk space for
1. If you have previously installed K-Meleon, make sure to uninstall the
prior version before continuing the installation for this version.
2. It is recommended that you exit all programs before running the Setup
3.Double-click on kmeleon05.exe file to start the Setup process. At any time in the
process you need to stop the K-Meleon installation, click on the Cancel
4. Follow the on-screen instructions in the Setup program. When completed, K-Meleon
will start automatically.
- You must first install the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) to run Java applets
in K-Meleon. K-Meleon automatically detects your JRE installation and no other
configuration is necessary.
K-Meleon has been tested with JRE 1.3.1. You
can download JRE 1.3.1 from http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/jre/download-windows.html.
To see if JRE is properly installed, type about:plugins in the URL
bar. If you see Java Plug-In and Java Virtual Machine for Netscape 6.x
listed, K-Meleon properly recognizes the JRE.
- An add-on Language Pack is available for support for displaying pages in Chinese, Japanese, and Korean. We are continuing to work on expanding the range of languages displayed in the browser.
1. Go to Settings - Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs.
2. Select K-Meleon (remove only).
3. Click on the Add/Remove button.
4. The K-Meleon Uninstall program will prompt you with a confirmation before
5. If you have stored user profiles, the Uninstall program will prompt you if you
want to remove the profiles.
6. Click on the Close button to
close out the uninstall program when it is completed.
Error messages on the first run on NT: "The ordinal 6880 could not be located in the dynamic link library MFC42.dll."
This is solved by downloading new MFC42.dll from Microsoft. Download and install the
- The Bookmarks feature will only display up to 1024 bookmarks. Additional bookmarks will not be imported or displayed
- The Alt + accelerator (F, E, V, G, H) won't work with the menu bar menus.
You need to disable the rebar menu plugin to enable the Alt + accelerator key combinations. See How do I enable or disable a K-Meleon plugin? for more details.
- Favorites menu takes a very long time to display
Windows 2000 and XP users with the "Menu Fading" effect enabled may notice a significant delay in the display of
Favorites menus containing many entries. To correct this, you can turn off menu
fading by selecting Settings - Control Panel - Display - Effects.
Under Visual Effects, uncheck the box labeled Use transition effects
for menus and tooltips and click on Apply and then OK.
X" doesn't display properly
A site not displaying properly is normally caused by one of two issues:
1. The site is not compliant with current HTML standards.
2. The display problem is due to a Mozilla bug.
- No menu when right clicking on some images
This is a Mozilla bug where there is no context menu notification for
Mouse wheel scrolling
- Mouse wheel scrolling does not work with all drivers. If you have problems,
try updating your driver or disabling any "helper" programs that your
- Most Mozilla-compatible plugins work with K-Meleon. You can download
Mozilla/Netscape-compatible plugins from Netscape here: http://home.netscape.com/plugins/index.html
- Shockwave Player will only install if it sees a file named "Netscape.exe". Create a copy of the file kmeleon.exe and rename it to netscape.exe. When Shockwave asks for the location of the plugins directory, use the following location:
K-Meleon can configured to work properly with proxies such as Junkbuster that do not support the most recent HTTP specification. By default,
K-Meleon tries to use HTTP 1.1. To use K-Meleon with a proxy that only supports HTTP 1.0,
change the HTTP version under Edit - Preferences - Advanced.
K-Meleon only accepts hostnames for manual proxies.
For additional information and documentation, visit http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/.
For support, to report bugs and place enhancement requests, visit the K-Meleon
forums at http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/forum/.
The developers mailing list can be reached at: email@example.com.