Documentation - Customization - Real Player
This page explains how to configure K-Meleon 0.7 to use the Real Player to play Real Audio files. This method also works with K-Meleon 0.6. These instructions assume that you already have Real Player installed on your computer.
K-Meleon doesn't automatically recognize Real media files when you are browsing. If you try to open a Real media file, K-Meleon will attempt to save the file on your computer. You need to configure K-Meleon to open the Real Player when it encounters a Real media file. You do this by adding several preferences to K-Meleon's preference file to enable the playing of the Real media files.
Close K-Meleon before starting. If you are using the Loader, make sure that you exit that also.
1. Open Notepad or some other text editor.
2. K-Meleon's preferences are stored in a file called prefs.js. Prefs.js is normally located here:
Browse to this location and open prefs.js in Notepad.
3. Move your cursor to the end of the file and add the following three lines:
user_pref("browser.helperApps.neverAsk.openFile", "audio/x-pn-realaudio, audio/x-realaudio, application/vnd.rn-realmedia"); user_pref("kmeleon.general.CloseDownloadDialog", true); user_pref("kmeleon.general.saveDir", "C:\\temp\\");
4. The entry for "kmeleon.general.saveDir" needs to be a valid directory name. If that directory does not exist, K-Meleon will ignore your preferences and try to create a new profile. Note that directories are separated by two "\\".
5. Save prefs.js and restart K-Meleon.
6. Browse to a web site with Real media files like Garbage and try out the Real media files!
Based on documentation provided by Andres Aule.
Last updated: November 7, 2002