Documentation - Customization - Adobe Acrobat 5
This page explains how to download and install Adobe Acrobat 5 for use with K-Meleon 0.6. K-Meleon 0.7 automatically detects your Adobe Acrobat Reader installation and no additional steps are necessary to view PDF files. You may want to print these instructions before proceeding with installing Adobe Acrobat 5.
1. Open K-Meleon and browse to:
2. Under Adobe Acrobat Reader, click on the Download Now button.
3. On the page titled Adobe Acrobat Reader Plug-in For Netscape, click on the graphic Click to Download under Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000.
4. When prompted to Save As, save the file ar500enu.exe onto your computer. Be sure to remember the download location that you selected. The download is about 8.6 MB.
Note: You may want to check at Adobe's website to obtain the most current version of Adobe Acrobat.
You have two options for using Adobe Acrobat Reader. You can use the inline browser plugin which displays the PDF files in the browser window. You also have the option of having K-Meleon open PDF files in the standalone Acrobat Reader. Both methods are explained below.
Install Browser Plugin
1. Close K-Meleon and go to the location where you saved the ar500enu.exe file and double-click the file to start the Install process. At any time in the process you need to stop the Adobe Acrobat Reader installation, click on the Cancel button. Follow the instructions on the setup screens.
2. Once Adobe Acrobat Reader has completed its installation, open Windows Explorer and browse to this directory:
3. There should be a file named:
4. Still in Windows Explorer, browse to K-Meleon's plugin directory:
Note: There is a directory labeled "kplugins". Do not install in that directory. That directory is where K-Meleon's internal plugins are stored.
5. You can also check to see if the Adobe Acrobat Reader plugin is recognized by typing about:plugins in the K-Meleon location bar. If K-Meleon recognizes the plugin, it will be listed on the page displayed.
6. Browse to a PDF file and K-Meleon will automatically load the PDF file in Adobe Acrobat Reader in the K-Meleon browser.
Configure for Standalone Viewer
If you prefer not to use the Acrobat browser plug-in and want to open PDF files in the standalone Reader, do the following steps:
Close K-Meleon before starting. If you are using the Loader, make sure that you exit that also.
1. Do not copy the Acrobat plugin nppdf32.dll into the K-Meleon plugin folder. If it is already installed there, delete it from that directory.
2. Open Notepad or some other text editor.
3. K-Meleon's preferences are stored in a file called prefs.js. Prefs.js is normally located here:
Browse to this location and open prefs.js in Notepad.
4. Move your cursor to the end of the file and add the following line:
5. Save prefs.js and restart K-Meleon.
6. Browse to a PDF file and K-Meleon will automatically open the file in the standalone Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Thanks to Ominx for the notes on setting up the standalone Reader
Last updated: November 4, 2002